Voting

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hamburger Rice Skillet

I created this recipe with some leftovers and odds and ends of veggies I had in the fridge one night when I was desperate to get dinner on the table. It has become a dinnertime staple and any leftovers are quickly gone.

1 lb. hamburger
1 medium onion, diced
5-6 large carrots - peeled and sliced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 cups white rice
1 quart beef broth ( I use Pacific Foods Organic, which is also gluten free)
2 TB soy sauce (I use La Choy which is gluten free)
2 cups frozen peas
Black Pepper to taste

Brown hamburger with onion and black pepper. When no longer pink, add celery, carrots, soy sauce, rice, and beef broth. Cover and simmer until the liquids have been absorbed and the rice is tender. Add frozen peas and heat through.

The first time I made this dish it was with leftover roast beef and veggies that needed used up. I've also made it with leftover chicken (and chicken broth). You can add as many or as few veggies as you like. They can be fresh, frozen, or leftover. If using leftover or frozen veggies, you will want to add them when the rice is done and only cook long enough to heat them through so they don't become mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment