Voting

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Another family recipe. I remember my grandma making this quite often in the summertime when bell peppers were plentiful from the garden. I confess I don't care much for green bell peppers...they tend to bite back for me...but I love orange, yellow, and red bell peppers. I seriously could live off of this filling it is so yummy! I remember my grandma always made it with home canned tomato juice which just made it all that much more flavorful.

1 quart tomato juice
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 onion, diced
6 medium bell peppers
1/2 lb meat (beef, chicken, or pork)
oregano or Italian seasoning
salt & pepper

Brown meat with onion, salt, and pepper. Cut tops off of peppers, clean out insides, and set aside. Cut up usable pepper meat from tops and add to meat. Drain grease from browned meat. Add tomato juice (12 oz tomato sauce and 20 oz water if you don't have juice), rice and Italian seasoning. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 1/2" to 1" of water in a 13x9 baking dish. Fill peppers with rice mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until peppers are tender and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment