Voting

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fudge Pecan Pie

I cannot believe that I haven't shared this recipe previously. I must've overlooked it as most of the recipes I've shared have come from handwritten recipes or ones that I've clipped from somewhere or gotten from friends, etc. This one is in a church cookbook from 1997 that is simply known as "the red cookbook" in our family. This poor cookbook has been used so much it is falling apart and really needs to be rebound. It's the kind of cookbook where ALL of the recipes are good. While occasionally we come across one that is not quite to our taste as written, the recipes themselves are sound. Anyway, this pie has been a tradition ever since DH and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving together ten years ago. I will be using a gluten free crust this year and seeing how rice flour works in place of the white flour....but I am determined to still enjoy our favorite pie. :)

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1/2 cup butter
3 TB. cocoa
3/4 cup hot water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (5.33 oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup whipped cream

Preheat oven & cookie sheet to 350 degrees. In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa and stir until dissolved. Add hot water and stir again. With wire whip, blend in sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, and evaporated milk. Stir until batter is smooth. Mix in pecans and pour into pie crust. Bake on preheated cookie sheet for 50 minutes or until custard sets. Garnish with whipped cream.

Notes: If using a disposable or regular size pie plate, this filling will easily make enough for two pies. Rather than putting the pecans into the custard, I spread the pecan halves out in my pie crust and then pour the custard filling over them. I also use way more than one cup. I mean after all, the pecans are the best part of a pecan pie, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment