Voting

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sourdough Refrigerator Biscuits

I learned how to use sourdough starter years ago when my two oldest were just toddlers. I had some sourdough starter given to me at that time and had no clue how to use it for anything other than the Amish Friendship Bread recipe that was going around and was all the rage at the time. So I called my grandma and she quickly gave me all sorts of tips for using it and some recipes as well. I confess I don't know how to make starter myself, I've always gotten it from someone else. If you do a google search on how to make it, there are lots of pages that will pop up.

The most important tips for working with sourdough starter are to 1.) not use any metal on it. Only use non-reactive utensils such as plastic or glass. 2.) If your kitchen is 80 degrees or above, keep it in the fridge.

1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
6 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening or margarine (I use butter flavor Crisco)
2 cups sourdough starter
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in dry ingredients. Combine sourdough starter, buttermilk and yeast and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir only until well moistened. Place in large greased covered plastic container. Refrigerate.* Use when needed. Dough should remain good for 3-4 days. Carefully roll out on a well floured surface to 1/2" thickness. Cut into biscuit shape. Place on lightly greased baking pan with sides touching. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until done. Makes 4 dozen biscuits.

*dough should be made at least 8 hours before needed so that it has time to rise.*

No comments:

Post a Comment