Voting

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Frosted Lime Wafers

I made these cookies this morning for a cookie exchange I've been invited to. I love just about anything lime and butter cookies are just to die for, so what better than to combine the two?!?! I'm sure y'all will laugh when I tell you the origin of how I came to have this recipe.

A few months ago I bought a stamp set off of e-Bay. When my package arrived, my receipt was printed on the back of this recipe with a single squiggle line of ink drawn through it. I can only assume that the person I bought the stamp set from had printed off too many copies of it and was "recycling" her paper. The recipe intrigued me enough to save it. It was worth my while. :)

Frosted Lime Wafers

Wafers:

1 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime zest (be sure to only use the green, not the white portion)
1/3 cup lime juice
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Glaze:

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice

Preheat oven to 375. For wafers, in a mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking soda, and lime zest. Beat until combined. Beat in the lime juice. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. (I use a kitchen-aid mixer and it handled all of the flour just fine)

Drop rounded teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes (I had to bake for 13), or until the edges are beginning to brown. Remove the wafers with a spatula and transfer to a wire cooling rack.

Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small mixing bowl beat together the powdered sugar, softened butter, and lime juice. Dip the tops of the cooled wafers into the glaze. (It works better to just spoon the glaze onto the wafers) Place wafers glazed side up on wire racks and allow the glaze to set before serving. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment