Voting

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brocca

I learned how to make this simple yet filling dish from my mother-in-law (Beth) many years ago. For starters, it's pronounced broh-ka. I guess what I really like about this dish besides how tasty it is, is how simple it is and really the possibilities are endless because ultimately it's just like making your own sandwich pockets.

1/2 of a sweet dough recipe (a basic sweet dough like you'd use for cinnamon rolls)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1/3 - 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded

Make sweet dough and let rise. Brown beef, drain off fat (if any), add onion and cabbage. Cook until tender but do not overcook. Roll out sweet dough and cut into squares. Put a small amount of filling in the middle of each square and fold over. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned. Serve with brown gravy.

Often times I'll just add more cabbage than it calls for and use up all of the sweet dough, or I'll make cinnamon rolls that I let rise in the fridge overnight with the leftover dough. I'll share my favorite cinnamon roll recipe tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment