Voting

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Freezer Crescent Rolls

I've been woefully neglecting posting recipes over the past few days but never fear, I am back! Did anyone miss me? LOL I've been working on organizing my recipes in a new binder with lovely index tabbed dividers. It looks awesome! No more green monster! hehehehehe

I found this recipe in the Oct/Nov 2007 issue of Taste of Home. It is by far the easiest and tastiest recipe I have come across for homemade rolls. We no longer buy any frozen roll dough since finding this recipe. We typically cook half and freeze half when we make it. If we have company over to dinner we bake the whole batch.

3 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, milk powder, sugar, potato flakes, eggs, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.

Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12 inch circle; cut each circle into 16 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place point side down 2 inches apart on waxed paper lined baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. (I coat my counter and rolling pin in cooking spray for rolling out my dough rather than using flour. It keeps me from getting too much flour added into my dough and I get a much more tender roll. This also works for making cinnamon rolls and pizza crusts)

Cover and freeze. When firm transfer to a large resealable freezer bag. Freeze for up to 4 weeks.

To use frozen rolls: Arrange frozen rolls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. (we just pull them out mid to late morning on the day we want to have them with dinner and let them thaw and rise at room temperature)

Let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment