Voting

Monday, January 25, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Allison had been begging me for quite some time to make split pea soup. It is one of her favorites (mine too for that matter). :) I didn't have a recipe to go on, so I just kind of winged it and got it right the first time. WooHoo!!!

1 lb. dried split peas (rinsed and soaked overnight)
1 small ham bone or ham hock
2 cans chicken broth
1 potato, diced
1 cup diced carrots
salt & pepper to taste

After soaking peas overnight, rinse and place in crockpot with the ham bone & chicken broth. Let simmer for a couple of hours on high. Add diced carrots and potatoes. Let simmer on low till it is the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I was out of onions when I made this and it turned out just fine, but I think it perhaps might be even better if you were to add maybe 1/2 of a small onion that has been finely diced. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment